President Joe Biden recently signed executive orders regarding gun control, and the White House has released a preview.
According to the Biden administration, additional gun control is necessary to combat a “public health” crisis. To this effect, they are advocating for “red flag laws,” which often violate citizen rights.
“From the very beginning the Second Amendment existed, certain people weren’t allowed to have weapons. So the idea is just bizarre to suggest that some of the things we’re recommending are contrary to the Constitution,” the president said during a speech.
“Gun violence in this country is an epidemic, and it’s an international embarrassment,” Biden said. “I asked the attorney general and his team to identify for me immediate concrete actions I could take now without having to go through the Congress.”
“Today I’m announcing several initial steps my administration is taking to curb this epidemic of gun violence,” Biden added.
These White House Fact Sheet lists the six actions as the following:
- The Justice Department, within 30 days, will issue a proposed rule to help stop the proliferation of “ghost guns.”
- The Justice Department, within 60 days, will issue a proposed rule to make clear when a device marketed as a stabilizing brace effectively turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act.
- The Justice Department, within 60 days, will publish model “red flag” legislation for states.
- The Administration is investing in evidence-based community violence interventions.
- The Justice Department will issue an annual report on firearms trafficking.
- The President will nominate David Chipman to serve as Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.
Biden explains that ghost guns are “guns that are homemade, built from a kit, and include directions on how to finish the firearm.” According to the president, anyone can buy the kit. And, as they have no serial numbers, “when they show up at a crime scene, they can’t be traced.”
No matter how nicely he words it, the Biden administration is dismantling the 2nd Amendment. If he really believed that it’s for the better, then why did he have to ask for recommendations about what could be done now “without having to go through the Congress”?